Operations is one of the most under appreciated sectors of business by the majority of designers. It’s not particularly sexy so it often takes a back seat to things like photo shoots and look books. But creating a business that runs smoothly from an operational standpoint is crucial to your success.
The most important operational task you can complete for your business is the creation of systems. Anytime you do any task in your business, write what you do, step by step, in a way that others will understand.
All you have to to is
- Create business categories: Social media, Email Marketing, Blogging, Accounting, Sales, Customer Service, etc.
- List the tasks associated with this sector of your business.
- Make each task a sub-category and list under the task the step by step process for completing that task.
- Weekly Newsletter
- Use logo as header image
- Include 2 recent blog posts and a short blurb about each one
- Include a single call to action from our eshop
- Event Promotion
- Use stock image that demonstrates a fun event
- Add event title to the image using photoshop
- Make sure to include location, date, and time
- Make email no more than 2 paragraphs
- Include large button that says “RSVP”
- Holiday Sale
- You get the point by now, right?
The key here is not to wait until your business is already in full steam ahead and you’re actively looking for an assistant. Instead start creating these systems as soon as possible so that when you’re ready to grow, you already have everything ready to hand over.
I’m telling you, this is one of the best possible things you can do to prepare yourself for growth.
This is nice…I have had this thought for a long time but was doing it for the Production process. thanks.