Running a business is scary. Period. You have no one to tell you that a decision is right or wrong. You have no one to give you a pat on the back for a job well done. You have no idea if the risks you’re taking are the right ones or if everything is going to blow up in your face.
One thing that has greatly helped me improve how I run and grow StartUp FASHION has been to identify my fears and then take action to squelch them! I’m not claiming it’s easy. But it needs to be done.
How to Improve Your Business by Identifying Your Fears
- Make a list of things that scare you when it comes to your business. For me, numbers, public speaking, and sales all cause a little stomach flipping. Write down each task associated with your business that always seems to get pushed to the bottom of the task list simply because of fear.
- Decide on priorities. So, which of the fears on your list have a direct impact on the grow and success of your business? Like, for me, sales is kind of a biggie. These are where you need to start because they’re keeping you from growth and success.
- Make a statement. Say what scares you out loud. For instance, I said “I’m afraid that I sound like a used car salesman when I tell designers about the Community. I’m afraid I’m being too pushy.” When I said it out loud, it actually made me laugh.
- Write down your options. What can you do address each of the important fears that you prioritized? Can you register for a class? Attend a seminar? Buy a book? Practice in the mirror?
- Make a weekly plan. Create a plan that dedicates a certain amount of hours per week to improvement in the areas you fear. By putting it in your calendar, you’re making sure that you actually take the necessary steps.
You may read this and think it all sounds to contrived. But honestly, I don’t know any other way to do it. Fear truly keeps a lot of people from success. If you don’t realize that and do something about it, you’ll have a hard time reaching your goals.