As a fashion business owner, it’s inevitable that you will start to feel overwhelmed with everything that you have to do. I know, “duh”. But I say this because it can sometimes be a challenge to identify that your brain is on overload; simply because you are so busy that you don’t have time to stop and think.
The problem with brain overload is that it can crush creativity. And creativity is such a necessary part running your business successfully; not just when it comes to design but also when it comes to problem solving and strategizing.
To stop the brain overload you need to slow down. Now, I’m not suggesting that you lose your hustle. Of course not. But what I am suggesting is that you acknowledge that you can still have your hustle but balance it with downtime.
5 Ways to Clear Your Head In Order to Run a Successful Fashion Business
- Exercise; go for a walk, take a bike ride, check out a yoga class, what ever it is you love, go on and do it. I spent an afternoon bike riding through Central Parn and then lounging in the park reading my book. During that time, my mind relaxed and I thought up two new blogs posts (besides this one!)
- Read; let yourself get lost in a non-work related book. I know we all have a library’s worth of biz books on our lists but it’s amazing the kind of ideas that will present themselves while reading about fictional charaacters or history or science fiction.
- Plan a trip; it’s doesn’t have to be an expensive getaway, it can be a day trip or an overnight somewhere. It’s just about getting out of your normal surroundings and letting your mind wander. A friend of mine took a few weeks away and came up with an idea for a book while on her escape.
- Spend time with friends; whether you decide to talk shop with your friends or not, just having a conversation and listening to what’s going on in the lives of your friends can spark all kind of ideas. A glass of wine doesn’t hurt either.
- Take a day off!; if you can’t take a trip, it’s cool, just take a day off! I don’t’ know about you, but taking a day off is one of the hardest things to do for me. I feel an overwhelming amount of guilt if my computer is closed and I’m doing nothing. This is not good and if it describes you too, try not to let it happen. Allowing yourself a day off where you have nothing on the schedule that you have to do is really important for recharging and clearing your head.
I know that the list above can seem pretty obvious. But it’s amazing how many of us don’t do any of it. We work hard, all of the time, and never allow ourselves to clear our heads, relax our brains, and let the creativity and ideas flow.
Consider this article your reminder.