Independent Fashion Brand MARRISA WILSON NY Shares What it’s Like to Run a Successful Business
In this episode, I’m speaking with Marrisa Wilson, the Creative Director and Founder of MARRISA WILSON NY, a contemporary womenswear brand characterized by cool styling blended with funky textiles.
Marrisa and I had fantastic conversation about:
- The importance of building a business and brand from our values.
- How growing her team was a game-changer and when to know it’s the right time
- Her two most effective marketing channels for growth and sales
- The need to make sure designers of color are more accessible to consumers
- And how unlearning is just as important as learning in this industry
ABOUT THE BRAND + DESIGNER
MARRISA WILSON NY, which was founded in 2016, is characterized by cool, relaxed styling blended with bold and funky textiles and print artwork developed in-house. Soulful sounds, vibrant artwork and installations, and eclectic interior spaces heavily influence the MARRISA WILSON NY ethos.
Marrisa was born in New Jersey to Guyanese parents, educated in New York and Paris, and is now based back in New York. As a two-time Fashion Scholarship Fund Winner, Wilson has had an impressive resume with names such as J. Mendel, Oscar de la Renta, rag & bone, DKNY and Calvin Klein.
Marrisa set out to create a brand that celebrates the multifaceted aspects of a woman’s personality.
And her unique, wide-ranging life experiences serve as her motivation to unite powerful, multicultural women in order to celebrate self love and inspire a sense of community.