Meet BreakThrough DESIGNER Bela Shehu of NINO Brand. Listen, Learn, Connect.
1. What is your brand’s mission? How has it evolved since you started your business?
I don’t have one set in stone yet, but the idea was to create a collection that exudes comfort and sophistication. That feeling never leaves me every time I design a new piece.
2. How would you describe your brand’s aesthetic?
Innovative. Unassuming. Forward. Classic.
3. What’s the most difficult aspect of running your business? What do you do to combat that?
Trusting my business sense. I don’t have to question my creativity, but I often find myself questioning if I am as good of a business woman as a designer. At the end I have to allow my instincts make the final decision, then I don’t look back.
4. Do you sell wholesale or primarily through your own website/retail location? What steps do you take to attain brand recognition, whether to wholesale buyers or retail consumers?
I am constantly looking for independent reps to pick up my line. Since it is still new. My goal is to get the product to as many people as possible, then let them do the talking. All my clients adore the way my garments make them feel, and they keep raving about it. What better way to spread the word?
Facebook has been my public journal (since I don’t blog) and my friends love to follow me in my journey.
6. Can you describe in a few sentences your day to day?
My day consists of a lot of managing. I have a team of five that I manage daily while we are drafting patterns, developing a textile print, formulating a sales strategy for the season, tending to private appointments in our showroom, and sending packages out to our clients.
7. What are three of YOUR favorite brands? What do you admire most about them?
Akris, Y3, Wunderkind. I love the clean lines, the intense creativity and the emotion of the design that the fabric carries.
8. One piece of advice you can offer the fresh faces of fashion?
Stay authentic at all costs!
9. What exciting things are in store for you in 2011?!
Our Fall 2011 launches in February 🙂 ! We’re hosting a few trunk shows at a few key boutiques, and getting lost in designing Spring. It’s going to be a good year!!
We’re not the only one recognizing NINO, check them out on 6ABC!
Thanks Bela for a fantastic interview!